[Replicant] Replicant funds usage, Handshake donation, and nlnet funding.

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Thu Jan 17 18:11:40 UTC 2019

On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 18:29:40 +0100
Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org> wrote:

> Tasks dependencies:
> ------------------
> If we go this route, I think that we should also try to understand the
> dependencies between tasks. For instance working to complete
> libsamsung-ipc and samsung-ril should not have a very strong
> dependency on the Android version. However for some of the tasks it
> would make sense to work on porting Replicant to a newer Android
> version first. Fixing some of the freedom issues could also be done
> automatically when switching to a newer Android version.

Today I've worked on that to sort the tasks and see the dependencies
between them.

llvmpipe:
---------
About the task on llvmpipe: if llvmpipe is integrated in Replicant
6.0, does someone knows how easily it would be to port the work to a
more recent Android version like Android 9 for instance?

Upstream Linux:
---------------
Several tasks that were at first meant for a google summer of code
mention devices that have 512M of RAM, theses includes:
- The LG Optimus Black: It has an XDPI screen.
- The Amazon Kindle: it also has 512M of RAM, and has a large MDPI
  screen.

Android 9.0 requires 512M of RAM reserved for userspace and kernel
for devices with such displays, so we don't have a lot of margin here.

The GTA04 A3 and GTA04 A4 which could also be used to work on
adding support for upstream kernels to Replicant both only have 512M
of RAM and XDPI displays. That display increases the requirements to
608M of RAM.

The GTA04 A5 seem to have 1G of RAM but I couldn't confirm that.

This means that we should probably use devices with at least 1G of RAM
to add support for upstream kernels, and maybe try to add support for
the devices that have 512M like the GTA04 A4 later, if it still makes
sense.

Some of the devices currently supported by Replicant such as the Galaxy
SIII (i9300) meet both criteria (good upstream support and 1G of
RAM) so we could use that.

Denis.