[Replicant] Request for wiki edit permission

Fil fil.bergamo at riseup.net
Tue Jul 30 21:12:40 UTC 2019

Hi, Mark.

On 25/07/19 08:13, markmatney wrote:
> Denis,
>
> Thanks for the edit permission. I went ahead and made those changes I proposed yesterday. "ReplicantInstallation" in particular got a pretty major overhaul.

I have reviewed all of your edits and I must say that you have actually
made a great job!
Thank you for your precious contribution.
I especially liked the truly-wiki-style cross-linking that you have put
in place and the dedicated page about the definition of "recovery".

Effectively, I found a net improvement in readability in the pages you
edited. So, once again, thank you... and kudos!

I only felt like making a minor adjustment to the Graphics page (see the
diff [1]), and I'd like some feedback from you and from other members.
I essentially reworded the sentence about the missing GPU support, to
emphasize the fact that free-software replacements are simply *not yet*
available, but may very well become available in the future.

> I have some opinions on further improvements, and am interested in contributing to that effort, but as I'm aware that many of you will be convening this weekend perhaps the timing isn't good for making major structural changes. I would join you all in Paris but I'm at UTC-0700. :-)

Further contribution will be very welcome :-)

> In my opinion, the main area in need of improvement is the main page. For a new user who is considering installing Replicant, there is too much information there. It is not immediately clear where to start, and a new user currently has to sift through too many words in order to find out. I also think most if not all of the top-level sections ("Supported devices", etc.) would fit better in their own dedicated page, much like the main page of <wiki.archlinux.org>.

We did discuss the matter during the meeting in Paris, and we also
deemed some adjustments to be necessary.
If you have any specific suggestion about it, can you please coordinate
with me, as I will probably be doing part of the work of synthesizing
and cleaning up some of the scattered pieces of information.
In case anybody else reading this message was willing to participate:
please, do no hesitate to propose your point of view.

Thank you again for contributing to the project!

Cheers,

Fil

[1] https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/Graphics/11/diff