[Replicant] review repwifi

Fil fil.bergamo at riseup.net
Mon Mar 4 21:30:42 UTC 2019

I finally got to reproduce your scenario..
I think it's indeed a problem in how F-droid stores app information..
It seems like repo synchronization actually takes place *only* when the
local database and the remote one differ.
You could spend a whole day swiping down, pretending to be updating the
repo, while in facts nothing happens, as long as local information is
considered to be identical to the remote (unless you clear the local
cache, as we will see in a while...)

So here's a rough guess about what actually happened: since you updated
F-droid's repos when the old RepWifi was still installed, F-Droid
flagged the other versions as "incompatible" in the local database; when
you removed the old RepWifi, those other versions remained flagged as
"incompatible". At this point, even if you try to update the repos, the
local database won't be refreshed at all, as the local metadata about
apps is considered to be already up-to-date, so nothing happens.

To solve this situation, you can erase F-droid's cached data and restart
your phone:
> adb root
> adb shell
> rm -r /data/data/org.fdroid.fdroid/*

after a reboot, update F-droid's repos once again, and you should see
the newest version of RepWifi, ready to be installed.

Please, let me know how it goes..

Cheers,

Fil