[Replicant] Assembly at 36C3 - Banner Idea

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Tue Nov 5 14:05:05 UTC 2019

Sorry for the late reply.

On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 11:34:28 +0000
Tj <replicant at iam.tj> wrote:
> The banner needs to intrigue them, stir their curiosity, give a clue
> as to its context, and above all leave an impression in their mind.
>
> From a distance (and over the heads of others) they need to see
> something different - that is why Freedom Security Privacy are up
> there large alongside an image of a smartphone.
The issue I have with that is that it seems to convey the idea that
using Replicant gives people complete freedom, privacy, and security.

It would probably better to insist on the following points:
- That Replicant project is fully free software (and even validated by
  the FSF)
- That its meant to run on smartphones and tablets: that could be done
  through images as well or made implicit in some other way
- That smartphones and tablets have many issues, some of which may
  affect Replicant too.

A text version would be:
> Replicant:
> - Fully free software Android distribution approved by the FSF
> - Runs on smartphones and tablets
> - Has extensive documentation on freedom, privacy and security issues
>   on smartphones and tablets.

I've attacked a very crude jpeg version of it.
The SVG is 1.7M so I didn't attach it, however I made it available here:
https://paste.gnutoo.cyberdimension.org/replicant/banner-36c3/0001/replicant-banner-RFC.jpeg

Denis.