[Replicant] Assembly at 36C3 - Banner Idea

dllud dllud at riseup.net
Tue Nov 5 14:58:54 UTC 2019

> The issue I have with that is that it seems to convey the idea that
> using Replicant gives people complete freedom, privacy, and security.
I can understand that concern, however lack of completeness should not
prevent us from advertising a validated feature of our product. If it
were like that no one could do advertising. Nothing is ever 100% something.
Replicant gives people much better freedom than any other ROM out there.
It also improves on privacy and security compared to all stock ROMs and
even some community ROMs.

> It would probably better to insist on the following points:
> - That Replicant project is fully free software (and even validated by
>   the FSF)
Doable on a banner.
> - That its meant to run on smartphones and tablets: that could be done
>   through images as well or made implicit in some other way
Also doable on a banner.
> - That smartphones and tablets have many issues, some of which may
>   affect Replicant too.
That one is better left for the flyers.

> I've attacked a very crude jpeg version of it.
> The SVG is 1.7M so I didn't attach it, however I made it available here:
> https://paste.gnutoo.cyberdimension.org/replicant/banner-36c3/0001/replicant-banner-RFC.jpeg
(Ahahah better keep working at computer programming Denis, and me too!)
Let me be straightforward: as a banner this would be awful. It lacks
everything: visual appeal, proper composition, harmony, balance, etc.

Nonetheless the ideas you present are valid. Let's see if someone with
the required drawing and design skills can incorporate them (TJ?).