[Replicant] Assembly at 36C3 - Illustrate freedom, privacy and security issues

dllud dllud at riseup.net
Wed Nov 6 00:37:28 UTC 2019

I had a fruitful discussion with Denis about the ideas for the flyer.
This email summarizes our conclusions.

To get everybody on the same page: Fil and I were exploring the idea of
creating a double-sided flyer/handout that would have the mockup of the
front and back sides of a phone on either side of the flyer. There would
be arrows pointing to the internal components or to the icons of some
apps shown on the screen. These arrows would be captioned with a short
text explaining a freedom/privacy/security issue present on most
commercially available phones (check the attached sketches).

Denis pointed out that creating the captions would be virtually
impossible without picking a specific phone model. The
freedom/privacy/security issues vary too wildly between phone models.
Take for instance the satellite navigation system (satnav). On some
phones the OS has to ship a non-free firmware and use a non-free driver,
for others there are free drivers and no need to ship firmware, others
have non-free firmware and free drivers, others have proprietary apps on
top that track users and relay their whereabouts.
A generic caption would become a mess.

On the other hand, we do not wish to pick one single specific phone
model. That would make the info much less relevant and would age
quickly. Denis thought about going for the extremes: What about
portraying the worst possible phone? Or the best possible phone?

I very much agree that this is the right direction. All captions become
much simpler. Creating multiple flyers, where only the text captions
change, is easy enough for us, as the base illustration would stay the same.

Denis came up with the following reinterpretation of the "The Good, the
Bad and the Ugly":
"The Good enough, the Bad hack, the Ugly subjugation"
- "The Good enough" would be an hypothetical RYF[1] compliant phone,
which is the "minimum required". Personally I would also like something
such as "The Good utopia", that portraits a phone that goes beyond the
RYF minimum and has free hardware and free firmwares every.
- "The Bad hack" would be Replicant at it's current state (perhaps on a
i9300).
- "The Ugly subjugation" would be the worst phone we can think about
(freedom/privacy/security wise).

What do you think about this direction? Fil?
If it seems good, any help creating the captions would be highly
appreciated.

Also, help creating a shorter and less technically of the article would
be welcomed too.
As previously decided, all flyers will prominently point (link and QR
Code) to the main article where it is all explained in detail. But as
Denis pointed out, we should probably have a shorter version of that
article. As is, it is too extensive and only understandable by people
with a tech background.

Regards,
David