[Replicant] making non free versions of replicant

dllud dllud at riseup.net
Wed Nov 13 23:48:28 UTC 2019

> And maybe nothing is gained
> from a repnonfree system compared to a lineage os system.
Exactly.

> Wrongly I had the
> impression that replicant search for unwanted monitoring pieces of software
> and remove it should they find something.
Replicant searches for all non-free software and removes it. Privacy and
security issues are also handled when found.

> every piece of nonfree software gets listed and its potentially implications get explained
That's what already happens. Replicant lists all non-free components it
found in LineageOs. Take a look at these links:
https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/GalaxyS3I9300#Research
https://git.replicant.us/replicant/device_samsung_i9300/tree/proprietary-files.txt

Replicant even goes one step further, and documents the privacy and
security issues that stem from the phone's hardware, and are still
present in Replicant:
https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/GalaxyS3I9300PrivacySecurityEvaluation

> Or we do not know how difficult it will be to make a repnonfree
> version?
As said above it would be a useless effort. If you wish to use a
non-free Android distribution that supports newer phone models then use
LineageOs.
For those phones that are supported by Replicant you can know which
non-free components you are running by taking a look at the Replicant
documentation, such as what I linked above.
For the phones that are not supported by Replicant, you can still have a
good idea of what non-free components they carry by taking a look at:
https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/TargetsEvaluation