[Replicant] Assembly at 36C3 - Illustrate freedom, privacy and security issues

Fil Lupin fillupin at protonmail.com
Thu Nov 21 18:38:59 UTC 2019

Here are a first shot of captions:

A title with "privacy issues" and three imaginary phones:
- the good enough/good utopia (but utopia can also define an infernal system like 1984 or brazil where everything is strictly ruled so I prefer good enough ;))
- the bad hack
- the ugly subjugation

each of those case is illustrated by hierarchical risks in the order app > system/drivers > firmware

The captions could be:

- good enough:

  * app (arrow from the caption to the screen): "letting user free to install app means user should be cautious about authorizations an app is aksing for (a notice read too fast). For example, flashlight (https://www.wired.com/2014/10/iphone-apps/) or Angry Birds (from https://www.postandcourier.com/business/which-apps-are-invading-your-privacy/article_e7513b6c-23ea-5031-897e-177b5e8f0b86.html) give unnecessary rights to the app
  * system/driver (arrow to ??): no issue so no caption
  * firmware (arrow to the bottom of the imaginary phone) : no issue so no caption

- bad hack:
  * system/driver (arrow to ??): OS and drivers can include bugs or and/or backdoor, intentional or unintentional. For example, Samsung sold phones and tab with a backdoor (https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/SamsungGalaxyBackdoor)

  * app (arrow from the caption to the screen): flashlight (https://www.wired.com/2014/10/iphone-apps/), Angry Birds (from https://www.postandcourier.com/business/which-apps-are-invading-your-privacy/article_e7513b6c-23ea-5031-897e-177b5e8f0b86.html)
  * system/driver (arrow to ??): OS and drivers can include bugs or and/or backdoor, intentional or unintentional. For example, Samsung sold phones and tab with a backdoor (https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/SamsungGalaxyBackdoor)
  * firmware (arrow to the bottom of the imaginary phone): the firmware is designed with flaws allowing the hardware to let access to private data. For example, Galaxy S5 Neo, Geeksphone One and Geeksphone Zero, LG Nexus 4 have bad modem isolation allowing modem to access data it should not (https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/TargetsEvaluation), Motorola Defy check the kernel signature which forbid to replace it by a free/libre OS

A final caption downside would include the title and the link : Freedom and privacy/security issues about phones (https://replicant.us/freedom-privacy-security-issues.php)

I just gave a few examples to illustrate (hope it is legal since it is like teaching material) and give some (ideally secondary) sources since it is important to make people free to understand the issues.

Please feel free to enhance and fix this.

Also, I did not understood if we have a shape of an imaginary phone. Could someone let me know? If not, we could find a Creative commons picture (ideally in svg).

- Fil Lupin.