[Replicant] Will the next version be more responsive?

Nick replicant at njw.me.uk
Sun Oct 20 09:44:54 UTC 2019

Quoth Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli:
> Hi,

Hi Denis,

> Several things also influence the speed on Replicant 6:
> - Some devices are significantly faster than other with Replicant 6.
> - Using the default display orientation is faster than if the screen is
>   rotated.
> - Some keyboard features (predictive typing) may also slow things down.
>
> I personally use the hacker keyboard with some custom settings (bigger
> height, full keyboard, predictive typing disabled) with the Galaxy SIII
> in portrait mode and it's usable at least for me.
>
> What combination of device/settings do you use?

I have a Galaxy SIII, portrait mode, just using the default keyboard
which has predictive typing. To reiterate, it is usable for me like
this; it has been my only phone for several years (the only
smartphone I've ever had, except for a brief time with an SII that
turned out to be broken) and has worked great. I'm just conscious
that a bit better speed would make the experience better.

I would try turning off predictive typing, but I find it reasonably
useful, so given that a new Replicant is around the corner I'll just
wait for that to evaluate whether such a change is worthwhile.

> Also note that Replicant 9 will probably not support all devices
> currently being supported in Replicant 6.
>
> The work is being done on the following devices:
> - Galaxy SIII (I9300)
> - Galaxy Note II (N7100)

I'm happy the SIII is such a reliable phone hardware-wise; most
people seem to have their phones break in a far shorter time than
our SIIIs have been in operation. Obviously there are also negative
consumer practices that feed into such things; desire for an excuse
to "upgrade" to a newer phone regardless of the environmental or
other costs associated, but that's off topic. Suffice it to say I
hope my SIII continues with its excellent service for many years to
come - and of course it's only thanks to Replicant and LineageOS
that it can do so securely and useably.

Thanks again to all involved in the project :)

Nick