[Replicant] signal app

Denver Gingerich denver at ossguy.com
Wed Oct 23 19:12:22 UTC 2019

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 09:00:16PM +0200, a wrote:
> > I wondered how you feel about using this app considering privacy.
>
> The data is zero knowledge encrypted which provides
> privacy. On anonymity signal is terrible. You cannot use fictional phone
> numbers. Phone
> numbers open for various tracking options from adversaries who have
> access to
> resources. In some countries you cannot buy a sim card anonymously.

Anyone in any country can get a phone number anonymously from https://jmp.chat/ (disclosure: I built/run JMP).

While I agree that people should use XMPP/OMEMO instead of Signal if possible, the network effect of Signal usage is hard to ignore.  At least people can use Signal anonymously if they do feel the need to join, per above (and after the trial one can pay in Bitcoin or Monero or whatever other cryptocurrency they like).

I'm happy to answer any questions about it, but also happy to stay silent if the topic is not appropriate for this list.

Denver
https://jmp.chat/