[Replicant] libsamsung-ipc on xmm6160 and ste m5730

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Fri Apr 10 02:33:27 UTC 2020

On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 13:44:35 -0700
Jonathan Bakker <xc-racer2 at live.ca> wrote:

> On 2020-04-09 10:19 a.m., Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli wrote:
> > I found BUSE (block device in userspace[1]) but it's very
> > experimental and seem to abuse the NBD interface.
> >

> Hmm, sounds like going there probably wouldn't be the best long-term
> decision.
Yes, I probably wasn't clear enough on that: I meant that it didn't
look like a good idea because it was experimental and seemed abused the
NBD interface.

> The more I look into this and think about it from an XMM6160 point of
> view, the more I think we should just rely on the /radio/modem.bin
> file.
I lost track of your explanation on the modem partition history along
the way, and I read too fast which made me misunderstood you.

I was assuming that for some reason you needed to and wanted to add
support for BML partitions in libsamsung-ipc.

After re-reading that part of the thread things are more clear now .

Relying on /radio/modem.bin seem the best and easiest way.

> I think the best way to go for XMM6160 would be to search for
> /radio/modem.bin,samsung,<codename>, then /radio/modem.bin, then
> /dev/mtd5 (Nexus S location, last because other devices may not have
> same layout and mtd5 may be used for something else).
A search path is definitely the way to go, but I think it's better that
we make sure that, for a given device, only relevant paths are
searched.

Denis.