[Replicant] Replicant Digest, Vol 351, Issue 1

Tobias Tefke t.tefke at stud.fh-sm.de
Fri Apr 17 11:47:55 UTC 2020

Hi,

I'm writing this mail as reply to Replicant Digest, Vol 351, Issue 1.

I've been using ccache for several years now and I never had issues,

so based on my experience I can say ccache is reliable.

The only downside is that ccache needs around 10GB of disk space for
Replicant 6,

but the speedup that ccache provides is worth it in my opinion.

I didn't know you mirror projects you use, but it makes sense, of course.

The reason why I prefer building ccache from source is that the versions
distributed with many GNU/Linux distributions are often not the latest
version.

However, the ccache.mk file already provides a mechanism to prefer an
installed version of ccache over a custom build,

so we could use that to use the distributions version of ccache if it is
provided.

In the attachment you can find two patches:

- one that tracks the ccache mirror from contrib

- one for the build environment that prefers the distributions ccache
over a custom build

Yours,

Tobias