[Replicant] Aimko AT700 donation

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Fri Feb 7 05:11:56 UTC 2020

On Tue, 04 Feb 2020 02:59:05 +0000
Chase <nicetrynsa at protonmail.ch> wrote:

> Hello,
Hi,

> Would the replicant project make any use of a donation of an aimko
> at700 tablet, or is the project busy with the other current ongoing
> port efforts?

I found some rough specifications[1] by searching the device name with
a search engine.

Here are the relevant specifications rearranged:

> CPU Model:Allwinner A33
This is nice. It should be possible to run free software bootloaders on
it, and both u-boot and upstream Linux should already have good enough
support for this "CPU".

> RAM:512MB
> Screen Resolution:1024 x 600
> Screen Size(inch):7 inch
This is a bit small. I'm not sure how much effort will be required to
support that on Android 9.

Do you know if there is a website or something with more information
on this device? Or is some kernel and/or bootloader source code
published for it?

To add support for it the following would be needed first:
- Finish porting Replicant to Android 9 and make a Replicant 9 release.
  This will use a kernel that is very closely based on upstream Linux.
  Me and other people are already working on that.
- If there is enough information and source code available for that
  device: add support in upstream Linux and u-boot. Depending on the
  number of driver lacking upstream, that might take more or less time.
- Potentially add support for other devices with 512M of RAM like the
  GTA04 that have a smaller display in Replicant.
- Look into optimizing Android to support that device which has 512M of
  RAM and a big display. Also, as the A33 also doesn't have free
  software 3D acceleration, we would need to make sure that the
  graphics are fast enough without 3D. All of the devices we support
  don't use 3D acceleration (yet).

Do you also know how hard it is to change the battery?

Is there someone interested to work on that device?

Even if we find out that it's too hard to support devices with 512M of
RAM, or that the absence of replaceable battery becomes complicated for
working on it, it might still be interesting to add support for it in
upstream Linux and u-boot.