[Replicant] Replicant 6.0 0004 RC1 on espressowifi

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Fri Feb 14 04:51:59 UTC 2020

Hi,

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:11:03 +0000
Graham Cobb <g.replicant at cobb.uk.net> wrote:

> I seem to have two problems with Replicant 6.0 0004 RC1 on Galaxy Tab
> 2 7.0 (wifi only).
Thanks a lot for testing the RC1.

> I wanted to see if I could make the new wired ethernet support work
> so I tried to install Replicant 6.0 0004 RC1.
I'd be interested to know if it works too. We added support for that in
the kernel of the devices we support, but, while the Ethernet interface
appear on the devices I tested, not all of them automatically connect
through Ethernet and show the Ethernet network icon.

We probably need to create a wiki page to list the devices where it's
known to work or not to work, and in which conditions it works.

So far I only confirmed it working on the Galaxy Nexus, potentially
with some reboots required.

> I did a full
> installation of both recovery and the system image (as described in
> https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/Installation).
>
> All the steps worked but when I reboot the system, I see the Samsung
> logo but then it goes blank and I never see the replicant picture.
>
> Does 0004 RC1 work for anyone else on espressowifi?
I've got a similar issue on the following devices:
- Galaxy Nexus (GT-I9250)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GSM (GT-P3100)

Which model of the espressowifi do you have?
Is it the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 WiFi (GT-P3110) ?
Or is it the Galaxy Tab 2 10.0 WiFi (GT-P5110) ?

I bet that all the devices with An OMAP4 have the same issue but I
prefer to add accurate information to update this bugreports:
https://redmine.replicant.us/issues/1996

As the kernel don't seem to be involved in that, I've recompiled a
kernel to output logs on the serial port, and the boot process didn't
find many files and directories in /sys or other similar filesystems.

I need to find more time (or more help) to continue looking into it, for
instance to look at the resulting /system through a recovery and/or
looking more into what happens when booted (like if I can make it boot
to a shell for instance it would also be useful).

Once we fix that, after merging the last pending patches, we could
probably do a RC2 with the fix.

The RC2 would also have the second fix for the enable/disable modem
scripts that fix some issues with silence when enabling/disabling the
modem for devices that have a modem.

> The second problem is that I can't revert back to
> replicant-6.0-espressowifi. When I try to sideload that, it fails with
> recovery saying:
>
> Verifying update package...
> E: failed to verify whole file signature
> E: signature verification failed
You need the older recovery to install the older images.

Thanks for the bugreport about that. I've started fixing it in various
places on the wiki and posted the updates in that bugreport.
https://redmine.replicant.us/issues/2002

I also need more time (or help) to finish doing that.

Denis.