[Replicant] New libsamsung-ipc patches with API breakage

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Fri Feb 21 00:12:37 UTC 2020

Hi,

My goal with passing the ipc_client to most functions is to improve
the ability to debug code by adding more verbose error reporting.

The functions affected by this patchset (like the boot and transport
handlers) have already been extensively tested by Replicant users
(me included), and probably wound't benefit that much in improved
error reporting.

However if we want to be able to support very different kernel
interfaces for the same device, we will need to reimplement such
functions for the new interfaces, so in that case, it would be very
beneficial to already have an infrastructure to have more verbose
error reporting, especially because the code will be new and not very
tested.

Unfortunately, this also breaks the API of libsamsung-ipc, so the
library version (soname) has to be increased.

Instead of increasing it at every libsamsung-ipc release as it was done
before, I've chosen instead to increase it at every incompatible change
in order not to have silent breakages for people building libsamsung-ipc
with autools from the master branch.

As for Android 6.0, I'm unsure if it handles soname changes at all, so
in doubt, it's probably best to force a rebuild of the library or to
rebuild from scratch.

Official images are rebuilt from scratch as per the release scripts.

Denis.