[Replicant] Aimko AT700 donation

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Sun Feb 23 11:56:36 UTC 2020

On Fri, 07 Feb 2020 22:15:38 +0000
Chase <nicetrynsa at protonmail.ch> wrote:

> I grepped through the linux kernel and uboot source code
> and nothing mentions the tablet by name, and I dont really have the
> know-how to identify chipsets. As for the 512 mb of RAM, would
> android go be a suitable solution, is that what replicant 9 will be
> based off of? Many of your devices are under 2 gigs, so if it's not,
> it might be worth it to go that route.
Since no one else showed up for this device, if you have no use for it
I would be interested in getting it to see if it's possible to add
support for it in upstream projects (u-boot and Linux).

However it's not very urgent as I'm not sure if or when when I'll be
able to find the time to do the work.

It also depends on how much work is required for that, and
if there is some reference source code or not. Some reference source
code would help a lot.

It's also possible to give devices in conferences we typically
attend to, like the FOSDEM, in order to avoid having to ship the device
through the postal system. As I'm located in Paris it's also possible
to give it to me there.

> The battery is indeed replaceable, it isnt easily compartmentalized
> like the galaxies, but taking the back off will allow the battery to
> be swapped.
That would enable to support it in Replicant without having a dilemma
because of the battery.

While it makes a lot of sense to require replaceable batteries for
smartphones, it makes a bit less sense to do it for tablets, as people
might still be able to use them if they don't last a full day for
instance.

As for doing the actual work, given the amount of RAM, if I manage to
find the time to add support for it in Linux and u-boot, I might give
it a try, and try to add it in Replicant 9, but I probably won't spend
a lot of time on it.

Denis.