[Replicant] Camera and mic for Replicant meetup livestreaming

dllud dllud at riseup.net
Sat Jan 18 17:11:03 UTC 2020

An update on this request: good unidirectional (cardioid) microphones
that can be connected to a computer are our most pressing need. A camera
would be nice to have, but is no longer mandatory.

It turns out that the room we will be in does not have a wired internet
connection. Transmitting a live video feed may be unachievable through
the WiFi link.

We will then opt for the least bandwidth intensive approach: an audio
only stream. Hopefully we can get it through the WiFi. Otherwise, we
will resort to mobile data.

Our plan is to setup a Mumble room that those outside FOSDEM can join to
get a live voice chat with us. This means we will have a speaker inside
the room to hear what the remote participants have to say.

In order to avoid audio feedback, we need some good unidirectional
(cardioid) microphones, being it lapel or handheld, that can be
connected to a laptop. The more microphones we can have the better, as
that will avoid having to pass them around anytime someone wishes to talk.

A good camera would still be useful to record the smalls presentations
that will take place, but will no longer be used for livestreaming. It
can simply record to it's internal memory or memory card.