[Replicant] Replicant 6.0 0004 RC2 images are ready for testing.

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Wed Jul 22 17:28:07 UTC 2020

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 13:37:24 +0200
Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org> wrote:

> Hi,

> I've just pushed the 0004 RC2 images. I've not started to test them
> but I'll start soon.

I've started testing on a Galaxy SIII (GT-I9300) and the device boots
fine and the graphics are fast enough. However we found out that once
again we cannot upgrade from Replicant 6.0 0004 RC1 to Replicant 6.0
0004 RC2 without having to wipe the data partition.

I suspected and assumed that this issue was a result of fixing the bug
#1827[2] which, if I recall well, changed some data structures in /data
for the dialer application, but it seem that it's not, since nothing
changed between the RC1 and RC2.

This issue was never debugged to concentrate more on Replicant 9 and
now 10, so if someone has a workaround to integrate in the release
notes, like a way to backup and restore the data/ partition, it would
help users a lot.

In the longer run we need to fix that bug for good and evaluate various
options (debugging it for real, making a TWRP with a deblobbed
kernel[3], using Replicant 10 to make a new recovery, etc).