[Replicant] Android applications on ‘real’ GNU+Linux – Anbox?

J. R. Haigh JRHaigh+ML.Replicant at Runbox.com
Tue Jul 28 09:24:37 UTC 2020

Hi Replicant team,
	I've recently preördered a PinePine (Community Edition Convergence Package, PostmarketOS-branded), and having had a poor experience with Replicant, I'll most likely be using one of the proper GNU+Linux distribution that support it rather than anything Android-based. However, there are a number of Android applications from F-Droid that I'm keen to continue using, particularly Pix-Art Messenger and Open Camera.
	On Pix-Art Messenger's Jabber channel on Sunday evening, Anbox was recommended to me, but I don't see it in the repositories of either Debian or Guix. Also, their website seems flashy and far detached from the Free Software community. They mention Google Play without mentioning F-Droid.
	Are there any alternatives to Anbox that have more of a connection with the Replicant project and F-droid? What would Replicant developers recommend for using Android applications on proper GNU+Linux?

Kind regards,
James R. Haigh.
--
Wealth doesn't bring happiness, but poverty brings sadness.
https://wiki.FSFE.org/Fellows/JRHaigh