[Replicant] Renaming the modem and graphics scripts before Replicant 6.0 0004 RC2

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Sat Jun 6 18:24:18 UTC 2020

Hi,

In the Replicant 6.0 0003 images we didn't have scripts shipped.

This means that less people knew about it or made the effort of pushing
them to their devices.

Since Replicant 6.0 0004 RC1 we have the following scripts being
shipped:
* disable_modem.sh: Disable the modem. This works by renaming
  libsamsung-ril and rebooting. This way libsamsung-ril is not run and
  the modem firmware is not loaded.
* enable_modem.sh: Re-enable the modem. This works by renaming back
  libsamsung-ipc to the original name, and rebooting.
* llvmpipe.sh: Switch to llvmpipe and reboot.
* androidsw.sh: Switch to libagl and reboot.

So I think it would be a good idea to rename the scripts and/or change
the interface before they start being used widely.

Design goals:
-------------
* People need to be able to remember the scripts names and syntax,
  mostly by heart, without Internet or another computer nearby.
* People need to be able to easily type the commands without any
  special keys, and with the stock keyboard and terminal emulator.
* The command needs to be short and easy enough to limit the
  probability of mistakes as a single mistake forces you to re-write
  the whole command from scratch with the stock keyboard and terminal
  emulator.

Examples for the modem:
-----------------------
* modem.sh enable, modem.sh disable: easy to remember, no underscore.
* modem enable, modem disable: no underscore, but shorted, but less
  obvious that it's a script. Tab completion doesn't work after the
  space (we don't have bash completion support yet).
* modem_enable.sh modem_disable.sh: rationale: tab completion works,
  which means that even without a tab key, you can use that trick to
  remember the order between modem and enable. It's also more natural
  as most GNU/linux shell commands are made in this way to take
  advantage of the tab. Has an underscore.
* enable_modem.sh disable_modem.sh: the order between enable and modem
  is less natural.

Examples for the graphics:
--------------------------
* llvmpipe.sh, androidsw.sh: llvmpipe.sh is probably easy enough to
  remember but it's not very consistent with the second command.
* graphics.sh llvmpipe, graphics.sh libagl: a help could at least
  display how to use it in case people don't remember libagl /
  androidsw.
* opengl.sh llvmpipe, opengl.sh libagl. OpenGL might be more precise
  and is probably still well known enough by less technical people.

Which ones would you prefer? and more importantly why.
Do you have better ideas than the ones I just proposed?

PS: I've also opened 2 bugs (#2041 #2042) as well in case some people
    prefer to comment through bug reports.

Denis.