[Replicant] Normal (forward) USB tethering

Adonay Felipe Nogueira adfeno at hyperbola.info
Wed Nov 4 11:34:38 UTC 2020

Em 04/11/2020 07:48, Nick escreveu:
> Does what you describe also enable "Ethernet over USB" between phone
> and computer? I.e. will it allow "LAN" connection between the two?

For that I don't know since I have not tested this feature. However,
upon connecting the USB, file storage will be available through the
“File transfer (MTP)” option of the USB “charging” notification, so this
is one less reason to want to use Internet between the two devices.
Besides, if you enable ADB, you can use its shell to start
terminal/console/command line sessions and also use ADB's
“push”/“pull”/“sync” file transfer “device commands” to transfer files.

Personally I rarely try using Internet to connect to my tethered
computer/phone since it adds latency as there will be more trips
involving IP address lookup. However, if you go to your computer and
check the IP address, see if it looks like one from a private/local
network ([1]) and make sure that the cellphone's is also different and
local.

If they are the same or one is not local, then you might only be able to
make connections to triggered ports and if one is not local, your
cellphone will automatically make extra trip to exit from local network,
to resolve that address, only to come back to local network again.

Thus, as an untested procedure, have netcat (also known as nc) listening
constantly in computer through a random port like 8080 (don't use 80 and
some other common ones since they might be blocked by the carrier) and
from your phone try using your web browser to establish a connection
(input the IP address and port in the address bar). If netcat receives
something then you made a connection.

--
* Ativista do software livre
	* https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
	* Membro dos grupos avaliadores de
		* Software (Free Software Directory)
		* Distribuições de sistemas (FreedSoftware)
		* Sites (Free JavaScript Action Team)
	* Não sou advogado e não fomento os não livres
* Sempre veja o spam/lixo eletrônico do teu e-mail
	* Ou coloque todos os recebidos na caixa de entrada
* Sempre assino e-mails com OpenPGP
	* Chave pública: vide endereço anterior
	* Qualquer outro pode ser fraude
	* Se não tens OpenPGP, ignore o anexo "signature.asc"
* Ao enviar anexos
	* Docs., planilhas e apresentações: use OpenDocument
	* Outros tipos: vide endereço anterior
* Use protocolos de comunicação federadas
	* Vide endereço anterior
* Mensagens secretas somente via
	* XMPP com OMEMO
	* E-mail criptografado e assinado com OpenPGP