[Replicant] VoLTE

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Thu Nov 5 18:51:46 UTC 2020

On Tue, 03 Nov 2020 12:49:24 -0500
Tad <tad at spotco.us> wrote:

> Carriers across the world are currently phasing out and re-farming 2G
> and 3G spectrum for upcoming 5G.
> Furthermore phone calls and SMS cannot be made on 4G without an IMS
> stack.
>
> On the Android side of things:
> There is currently no work on open source IMS for Android.
>
> On the "Linux phone" side of things:
> The PinePhone and Librem 5, with their EG25 and PLS8 modems
> respectively, handle IMS/VoLTE internally.
> Aside from sending an AT command to choose an appropriate profile for
> the carrier, there is nothing required in kernel/userspace.
> They appear to be the only currently viable options for phone calls
> in 2021 going forward.
>
> I don't have any solutions.
> I just want to start a discussion about it.
> Food for thought.
>
> I considered posting this to the F-Droid forum, but felt it might be
> more applicable here.
Our plans with that is to finish porting Replicant to Android >= 9
first.

Then it'll be easier to add devices like the Pinephone or other devices
with upstream kernels (assuming they meet certain criteria like having
a battery that can be changed, a somewhat isolated modem, etc, if not
we're still open to collaboration with people or projects wanting to
support these though).

To add support for other devices running GNU/Linux the idea would be to
try to port the oFono RIL to the Replicant >=9 version and use that.

Denis.