[Replicant] Exposure Notification not working

doak doak+list at posteo.net
Sun Oct 18 20:52:28 UTC 2020

Hi Nick,

thanks a lot for your report.

Did you check if your device actually sends BLE beacons?
At the beginning of the german tracing app I configured an i9305 (S3 LTE) with Lineage, OpenGApps and the
app (this not free SW) and *it seemed* to work but did **not**!
Reason was that BLE beacons could be received, but not sended. I checked that with 'nRF Connect' which is
able to trace bluetooth packets and shows additional information also for BLE beacons. Furthermore it is
able to list device capabilities. In my case 'Periphal mode' was not availabble.
At the end I have tried dozen different (questionable) ROMs till I found one which in fact supports pheriphal
mode and thus was able to send BLE beacons.
I am still not sure if the signal strength is as strong as it should be. My gut feeling is that it is too
weak which would make the estimated risk wrong and thus useless.
Nevertheless. I am still running four devices with that setup for my family.

TL;DR
It would be good to know if your setup is able to send BLE beacons. Perhaps you can check that with another
device.
Furthermore I at least know that the i9305 is able to send them if used kernel/firmware supports it. Dunni
about i9300.

Btw, regarding free SW variant for this to work there is an interesting threads on Github of the german
tracing app (CWA, Corona Warn App). Most likely you already know that, I will post the link just in case.
I also post the link [2] which is related to my non-free setup.

[1] https://github.com/corona-warn-app/cwa-app-android/issues/75
[2] https://github.com/corona-warn-app/cwa-wishlist/issues/192

Regards,
doak