[Replicant] I9300 backup of /efs not yielding usable image

m d mdreplicantmd at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 14 17:13:59 UTC 2021

 Hi,
I'm really glad this got acknowledged. The efs partition got corrupted a few days ago and was restored just fine with this method

    On Wednesday, 24 March 2021, 23:11:29 GMT, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <gnutoo at cyberdimension.org> wrote:

 On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 14:15:08 -0400
Tad <tad at spotco.us> wrote:

> That is a very weird way to backup a partition.
>
> Please instead try the following:
>
> $ adb shell
> $ su
> $ dd if=/dev/block/platform/dw_mmc/by-name/EFS of=/sdcard/efs.img
> $ exit
> $ adb pull /sdcard/efs.img
>
> To restore use Heimdall or Fastboot.
> You can maybe do it running by:
> $ adb push efs.img /sdcard/
> $ adb shell
> $ su
> $ dd if=/sdcard/efs.img of=/dev/block/platform/dw_mmc/by-name/EFS
> $ reboot
>
> You can also use adb root instead of su if not available.
Thanks, I should really use dd instead. It was in my TODO list but I
never took the time to try it and update the documentation.

I used cat to have a single command to get the block device in the past
but that command turned out to be very problematic. That is probably why
there is still a 'cat' here.

As for the '*' they are used to minimize the number of instructions.

Having the files in addition to the block device is also very useful as
we have 2 different backups done in 2 different ways. It also validates
that people can really access the files when the backup is done.

Denis.