[Replicant] Replicant apps are compatible with Android devices?

W. Kosior koszko at koszko.org
Tue Aug 3 08:37:20 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2 Aug 2021 23:36:22 -0300
Dedeco Balaco via Replicant <replicant at osuosl.org> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Replicant apps are compatible with Android devices that are not
> running Replicant OS? Is it possible? Id est, can i compile an app
> for Replicant and install it on my phone that does not run Replicant
> OS? _______________________________________________
> Replicant mailing list
> Replicant at osuosl.org

Hi!

In general, you can. Replicant is just a distribution of Android
stripped of most of the nonfree stuff. Android apps and Replicant apps
are hence the same.

However, consider this:
* The offcial release of Replicant is still Replicant 6.0, based on
  Android 6.0. Current version of Android is 11, with 12 under
  development. This means API support will vary, with newer Android
  possibly dropping some of the functionalities and undoubtedly adding
  many new ones.
* Some special apps might require root access to function properly.
  Replicant, being a freedom-oriented OS, gives you full control over
  the operating system, so this is not a problem. The Android that comes
  with consumer devices requires varying amounts of effort to root,
  sometimes even with the need to run proprietary Losedows programs and
  give your phone number away to phone manufacturer.

Wojtek

--
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
PGP: https://koszko.org/key.gpg