[Replicant] [GNU-linux-libre] Criteria for Android applications

Jean Louis bugs at gnu.support
Sat Aug 21 18:24:14 UTC 2021

* knowledgeofnations at outlook.com <knowledgeofnations at outlook.com> [2021-08-21 18:18]:
> So, for example, not promoting stuff like NewPipe (a YouTube client)
> and Aurora Store (a Google Play Store client)?

If NewPipe does not run proprietary Javascript there shall be no
issue, right? We all like videos.

Myself I am not watching YouTube videos in real time, I am downloading
it. So I use the link like for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAjMYdK0V0k

then I open

https://www.youtubepp.com/watch?v=MAjMYdK0V0k

and download from there.

> As unrelated remark:
>
> It would be good to make the fully free repository of Replicant
> applications with high stress on freedom, including the exclusion of
> centralized and surveillance networks.

YouTube is not centralized social network for reason that I can access
videos from command line, NewPipe, from major variety of free
browsers and I do not need to be logged in to YouTube to download
such.

Twitter I cannot use if I don't have Twitter account, it is
centralized social network.

Telegram, Signal are vendor lock ins, there is free software but it
works exclusively with those networks and nothing else.

Jean