[Replicant] Wanting a freedom phone

Joshua Branson jbranso at dismail.de
Fri Aug 27 15:13:56 UTC 2021

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli via Replicant <replicant at osuosl.org> writes:

> On Tue, 24 Aug 2021 08:52:58 +0200
> "W. Kosior via Replicant" <replicant at osuosl.org> wrote:
>> True, although even Replicant phones are not 100% free. Perhaps you've
>> already heard that no libre cellular modem exists.
> A free firmware (OsmocomBB) exist, but it's for very old mobile phones
> (that aren't smartphones) and the Openmoko Smartphones modem. The
> OpenMoko part that runs GNU/Linux only has 128M of RAM, and there is
> (almost) no upstream kernel support for it.

I'd be ok with a dumb phone!  What phones use that OsmocomBB modem?

I may have found my answers...It looks like the same guy that did the
Nouveau computer is working on this already.

https://media.ccc.de/v/31c3_-_6156_-_en_-_saal_1_-_201412282145_-_fernvale_an_open_hardware_and_software_platform_based_on_the_nominally_closed-source_mt6260_soc_-_bunnie_-_xobs#t=2684

http://www.bunniefoo.com/fernvale/fernvale-31c3.pdf

http://shop.sysmocom.de/products/fernvale-mt6260-reverse-engineering-development-kit-dvt2

http://shop.sysmocom.de/t/osmocombb/phones

http://shop.sysmocom.de/t/development-boards/cellular

http://osmocom.org/projects/baseband/wiki

I'm still not entirely certain which dumb phone from the market I should
buy, or if I should just buy the dev kit.  Either way this is exciting news!