[Replicant] stuck on startup

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Fri Jul 30 16:55:11 UTC 2021

On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 10:41:24 +0000
Fil Lupin via Replicant <replicant at osuosl.org> wrote:

> Hi there,
> after updating some apps (Document viewer), I get an issue with
> sharing access to my Galaxy SIII space to my computer (`lsusb` did
> not recognize when I pluged my phone). I have a replicant 4.2 (yes, i
> know should update to v6 but I still was not able to import my sms
> from v4.2 to v6 and i would like to keep them).
>
> When I rebooted my phone:
> 1.I was asked my password to decrypt my phone.
> 2. I then was stuck on the image of green bugdroid startup screen.
> 3. I can reboot my phone by putting out my battery and I then can
> access to download mode or recovery mode, but I can't mount /data and
> /emmc from recovery mode. I succeeded to mount it from adb shell but
> /data contains only /data/data/app directory.
>
> I need at least save some data from apps and would like to access to
> user data from several apps. Do you know any way to do this?

There are some things that could be tried. I recall having seen
software for GNU/Linux that is capable of opening partitions encrypted
by Android.

It may be referenced on the wiki, but the wiki is currently down for
some reason ("503 Service Unavailable"). We need to contact the OSUOSL
if it stays unavailable.

Since you have a shell in the recovery you could probably backup the
data partition and try to open the partition with these tools.

There are tutorials in the wiki for restoring application data to
another installation or device. They need a bit of polishing so if you
find anything to improve feel free to do it.

It might also be a good idea to also look at the UMS partition (which
typically contains files like the users music, etc) along the way to see
if it's also encrypted, or what it contains.

Another idea could be to try to add root to the boot image that is in
the KERNEL partition, but here you already can get root in the recovery
and lsusb gives nothing with the regular boot, so I'm not sure that it
will change something or not.

For that to work you also need to double check what exact Replicant
version you have. In addition the tool to add root wasn't tested yet on
Replicant 4.2.

Denis.