[Replicant] More support for Android 11 in libsamsung-ipc and libsamsung-ril

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Thu Mar 4 12:42:20 UTC 2021

Hi,

This patch set adds more support for Android 11, many cleanups and
also brings the maintenance scripts of libsamsung-ipc to
libsamsung-ril as well.

These patch sets have been compilation tested together on the following
Replicant versions:
- Replicant 4.2
- Replicant 6.0
- Replicant 11

On Android 11, with the Replicant kenrel which is closely based on
upstream Linux, and patches on top of this serie, we can bootstrap
the modem, both with libsamsung-ipc tools and with libsamsung-ril.

However I need to put more work in making sure it works once the
modem is bootstrapped.

In the past, I could retrieve some messages with ipc-test, but
with ipc-imei (a new utility not yet sent for review) on
Replicant 6 I can get the IMEI (when it doesn't segfault) but
not on Replicant 11 (with the Replicant 11 kernel).

Libsamsung-ril is also stuck after bootstrapping the modem so
I need to solve this issue.

On the kenrel side, some of the problematic bugs we had before
now seem to be gone. Still there is a massive code cleanup and/or
rewrite to do, and some of the power management (GPIO API) isn't
implemented yet. We also need to look into these GPIO to make
sure we are doing the right thing.

At least we now have some documentation on this GPIO API in the
Replicant wiki: It describe what the GPIOs between the modem and
the SOC are doing. That documentation has been made by reading
the vendor kernel source code for various devices and correlating
information retrieved from there.

In the longer run, we will also need to do some tests to see the
effects of not implementing the ones that have some privacy
implications. For instance there is a GPIO that tell the modem if
the SOC is in suspend-to-ram or if it's running. It's probably
needed for good reasons though (like waking up the SOC through
an IRQ when there is a call).

For libsamsung-ipc, in addition to the patches that will follow in a
response to this mail, here's an URL to the see the patches in a web
interface:
https://git.replicant.us/contrib/GNUtoo/hardware_replicant_libsamsung-ipc/commit/?id=1450acbb28acd83f8b46171d881c0d96f807140c

And here's how to get them in a git repository:
git clone https://git.replicant.us/GNUtoo/hardware_replicant_libsamsung-ipc
cd hardware_replicant_libsamsung-ipc
git show 1450acbb28acd83f8b46171d881c0d96f807140c

For libsamsung-ril, in addition to the patches that will follow in a
response to this mail, here's an URL to the see the patches in a web
interface:
https://git.replicant.us/contrib/GNUtoo/hardware_replicant_libsamsung-ril/commit/?id=001c859880de24af0c5219a2638fff3100ee5cd2

And here's how to get them in a git repository:
git clone https://git.replicant.us/GNUtoo/hardware_replicant_libsamsung-ril
cd hardware_replicant_libsamsung-ril
git show 001c859880de24af0c5219a2638fff3100ee5cd2

Denis.