[Replicant] identify which version is installed

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Sun Sep 19 17:22:59 UTC 2021

On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 10:31:48 +0000
Fil Lupin via Replicant <replicant at osuosl.org> wrote:
> I do not know which amount of work it needs (perhaps it's even
> already done, great then:)). Does it seem somerthing which
> could/should be done? :)
I've already implemented that in two ways.
For all the official releases after Replicant 6.0 0003 we have the
version number as "Replicant version: <version>" in Settings->About
phone.

For the 6.0 0003 and all the older releases we have a collaborative
wiki pages where any users (like me and you) can in tables the kernel
version, Build date and Build number that can then be used to
identify a given release[1].

Older releases are not yet added but adding them all would be a lot of
work (there are 25 releases left to cover, each with multiple devices).

My approach is that, if I ever install and boot an older release, I will
also try to add it to that wiki page along the way. This way I can
manage to improves that page without spending too much time on
installing and booting devices only for that.

Other approaches are probably possible, like extracting the strings
from the images themselves, without a laptop, but that also requires
time to do the work, and I've no idea if people still run older images
than Replicant 6.0 0003.

Some people might still run Replicant 4.2 for various reasons though,
like for the GTA04 or due to not wanting to loose their data while
migrating to Replicant 6, or because Replicant 4.2 didn't have
the SIM issue that we had in Replicant 6.0 up to the 0003 included
(that is now fixed in the 0004 RC5).