libre android sdk?

Bradley M. Kuhn bkuhn at ebb.org
Tue May 11 13:56:06 UTC 2010

Jim Garrison wrote at 02:08 (EDT):

> I am excited to do so.  Are there instructions somewhere, or is it for
> me to figure out?  (Sorry, the dumb questions are a result of me being
> mostly clueless yet eager to learn about this new platform. :)

Sadly, no, there aren't instructions easily written out.  The way we did
it on the HTC Dream was to build a free firmware for the device and
compare it to what was there.  In other words, we got all the sources
for everything put out for the Dream, built them, and then looked at
what was missing.

If I were going to go about this today, I'd actually use Cyangen's mod
instructions.  This is because he doesn't ship the proprietary software,
so his instructions tell you what to pull off.  I bet that Cyanogen
hasn't ported to your phone yet, so that may not help all that much.
(That also may be telling.  It's my theory that the non-HTC phones have
NO Free Software in them *except* for Linux, but that's just an educated
guess based on circumstantial evidence.)

> Yes, and I appreciate it.  My remaining problem is that repo hangs
> when I try to download everything, whether I try to download replicant
> or the official Android sources.  Maybe I'll stop in channel soon and
> see if someone can help me.

Ok.  Most recently, I did a from-scratch repo sync of Cyanogen's
branches (although I didn't get time to build it at all).  It all worked
ok, including getting bionic, so I am not sure why you have the problem.

> In fact, here's where it currently hangs indefinitely:
>
>    ~/replicant$ ../bin/repo sync
>    Fetching projects:   1% (2/117)  remote: Counting objects: 39, done.
>    remote: Compressing objects: 100% (18/18), done.
>    remote: Total 23 (delta 16), reused 8 (delta 5)
>    Unpacking objects: 100% (23/23), done.
>    From git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/bionic
>       0be7eda..6ba5efd  master     -> korg/master
>    Fetching projects:   6% (8/117)

Hrm, that's strange.  Could android.git.kernel.org by throttling you?
Disk space?  Sorry to mention the obvious. ;)

--
   -- bkuhn
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in this email are my own, not those of