free software market

Aaron Williamson aaron at copiesofcopies.org
Tue Jun 22 17:23:30 UTC 2010

On 06/22/2010 01:04 PM, Matthias Weiler wrote:
> My question is if it's really necessary to fork the slideme client and
> server to do the task. Couldn't you just set up an aptoide [1]
> repository? I'm not sure if it's possible to add license information
> there, but for the beginning it should be okay to have one repository
> that offers free software only.

Hi Matthias,

Aptoide didn't exist when I started to work on a fork of SlideMe, or I never
would have used SlideMe -- the apt-style repository makes much more sense than
the mess of Java implementing a bloated and unused provisioning spec.  However,
I also stopped working on the problem when I discovered Aptoide, thinking that
the problem had essentially been solved.  Given that (apparently) there is still
no one operating a general free-software repository based on Aptoide, I was
clearly hasty in this conclusion.

I would like to take this project back up, using Aptoide as the base, but at the
moment I'm too busy with other projects.  It seems like all that's needed is:

1) a few minor patches to aptoide
2) a web application (I would probably use Django) to allow users to upload apps
for moderation/distribution

That sound right?

Aaron