Froyo code drop

Aaron Williamson aaronw at softwarefreedom.org
Thu Jun 24 14:23:59 UTC 2010

Hey everybody,

Yesterday, the maintainer of the Android Open Source Project announced a code
drop of Froyo (Android 2.2) sources:

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/06/froyo-code-drop.html

I encourage everyone to read the post, because it talks about a lot of really
positive changes in this release, i.e. that AOSP is now accepting a lot of
patches from the community, the source release happened as a single coherent
whole (previous releases have been piecemeal and haven't addressed all platforms
at the beginning or sometimes even at all).

But most importantly, this:

"Speaking of device support, we also open-sourced several additional
hardware-related libraries that had been closed-source in previous releases,
which will open the door to more contributions. Some examples are the recovery
UI code for Dream, Sapphire and Passion, and the interface between the media
framework and Qualcomm chipsets."

This could be huge for us -- it may even be the whole game.  According to the
maintainer, "You can now build and boot a fully open-source system image out of
the box, for the emulator, as well as for Dream (ADP1), Sapphire (ADP2), and
Passion (Nexus One)."

I'm downloading the code so I can test this claim ASAP.  I'll let you know when
I've got a working build -- if he's right, I can even upload the firmware for
everyone else to install :)

Aaron