Higher Level TODOs? (was Re: Mary-Anne's self introduction)

Jim Garrison jim at jimgarrison.org
Wed Mar 23 20:07:52 UTC 2011

On 03/23/2011 08:06 AM, Mary-Anne Wolf wrote:
> I think the higher level developing would make more sense.
> So...how/where do I find out what higher level things need to be done?

I'll start with one suggestion, but maybe others can chime in with other
suggestions.

I am very much in need of a good free software application that helps me
perform automatic remote backups of my application data.  Sure, I can
backup my device using adb, but that involves plugging in my device and
running some commands (which happens very rarely, since I must think
about it first).  If we want people to approach a high level of data
reliability but also live in freedom, they should be able to perform a
backup over the network to a host that they own.  Otherwise, people will
be much more inclined to use automatic "cloud" backup providers that
perform remote backups to the provider's servers.

At <http://f-droid.org/repository/browse/> the only backup program
listed simply saves a list of installed applications.  The replicant
ListOfKnownFreeSoftwareApps wiki page lists no backup programs at all.

I propose a simple application that allows the user to schedule backups
that will save all application data over ssh/scp to a server of the
user's choice.  If the user wishes, [s]he should be able to enable
backups only if the phone is connected to certain wifi networks.  Once a
program exists that can transfer my replicant application data to
another device, I can then use the incremental backup software of my
choice on that device so I have a full history of backups.