Hello - and some info (long)

GNUtoo GNUtoo at no-log.org
Thu Mar 31 11:13:16 UTC 2011

> Geeksphone: The device described on the Replicant web page is the
> Geeksphone One. It is no longer in production (they sold off the last
> refurbished units a couple of weeks ago, but even they may be gone by
> now).
Too bad,because it was very similar to the htc dream.
I know someone who has one.
>  It comes rooted out of the box (which is part of the company's
> philosophy) and is SIM-unlocked (at least if acquired from Geeksphone -
> the only other distributor that I know of is Pepephone, but I'm not sure
> if these phones were SIM-unlocked). The open-source project seems to use
> some closed-source drivers (at least, I haven't found the code for the
> GPS drivers anywhere, only precompiled binaries).
which we could have replaced(since it's similar to the htc dream)
however GPS would have been a problem since modem firmware was a bit
different.
> Geeksphone has recently released a new device, called Zero - like its
> predecessor it comes rooted (screenshots look like it has CyanogenMod
> installed) and should be SIM-unlocked.
according to
http://www.geeksphone.com/en/moviles/zero/especificaciones.php it seem
to have a Qualcomm MSM7x27-2,but since there is still an error on
alsa(the alsa CODEC is instead a qualcomm DSP codec integrated in the
modem)
> The tricky part, though, is to compile GPSD to work on the libraries
> that come with Android - some functions are missing and need to be
> substituted. Also, some magic will be required to build GPSD (or the
> device library) using the Android build chain - GPSD uses the
> traditional autoconf/automake approach with at least one header file
> generated on the fly.
hmmm, that can be tricky.
* I didn't ear of the openembedded port for android anymore(not sure if
it's still develloped).
* you should look how navit did it during the early stages of the port,
altough if I remember well they used a debian chroot for having gpsd.
* you could try to cross compile a static gpsd, that would work on
android since it's static.
> Has anyone on this list ever tried porting GPSD (or has similar
> experiences from porting other libraries) or is aware of such efforts?
> Any input would be appreciated.
No, I used some free software GPS libraries that were written
with android in mind.

Denis