Building replicant for the Galaxy Player 50 (YP-G50).

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Mon May 28 23:11:47 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-05-28 at 21:47 +0100, Josh Branning wrote:
> The galaxy player 50 has the same SoC as the galaxy S. What version of
> the kernel does the galaxy S use with replicant?
2.6.35 I think. there is also a 3.0 available but replicant doesn't use it yet.
> The sources I have downloaded for the YP-G50 are for the 2.6.29 version
> of the kernel. There are two modules, bcm4329 and fm_si4709.
bcm4329 is the bluetooth+wifi chip and the si4709 is an FM radio chip.
forget about the modules for now, concentrate on the zImage.
> I compiled the kernel into a zImage and tried flashing, and there is a
> definite improvement (instead just the logo SAMSUNG appearing, I now get
> that and a black screen for about a second). The kernel modules once
> compiled, turn into dhd.ko and Si4709_driver.ko.
good, maybe it works but don't boot the rootfs.
> I do not have access via adb.
hmmm that is a problem.
> What should I do next to get replicant working on my device?
I heard that the rootfs and the kernel were tied together in Android,
because the bionic libc was tied to the kenrel you compile
against(trough the kernel headers).
I'm not sure if it's true or still true.

So try compiling a recovery with your custom kenrel:
 * add the kernel to replicant sources
 * compile the recovery and the kernel together.

Denis.