USB Networking problem [solved]

petercstevenson at telus.net petercstevenson at telus.net
Sun Dec 16 03:22:35 UTC 2012

After doing more research, I was able to solve the problem. It turns out
that the network interface name on the device should be rndis0, not
eth0. So here is the recap: I am running a fresh install of Replicant
4.0 on a Samsung Nexus S. I had gotten the following error message when
running run_dev.sh:

Starting Replicant USB Networking
./run_dev.sh[56]: cannot create /sys/class/usb_composite/rndis/enable:
No such file or directory
error: SIOCGIFFLAGS (No such device)
error: SIOCSIFADDR (No such device)
No such device

The first error was the path for the enable file. In my system it
is /sys/devices/virtual/android_usb/android0/enable.

When I run busybox ifconfig, I saw that the two network interface names
are lo and rndis0 - no usb0. I changed the USB_IFACE variable to rndis0
and the two ifconfig commands to rndis0. Now everything works!

I am attaching the version of run_dev.sh that got me online.

Thanks for your help, Randy.

All the best,

Peter Stevenson