Status Replicant 4.0 on GTA04?

Paul Kocialkowski paulk at paulk.fr
Thu Jul 4 12:51:11 UTC 2013

Le lundi 01 juillet 2013 à 14:37 +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller a
écrit :
> I recently subscribed to this list because I would like to push and help
> with Replicant 4.0 on GTA04.

That's really nice. I hope we'll be able to find a solution for the
kernel together soon.

> Maybe someone can tell a little about the status? Or even better make
> the installation complete - so that it becomes easier to help developing
> and new developers can concentrate on their area of expertise (e.g. kernel).

The GTA04 repositories (device, kernel and bootloaders) have been added
and I've just finished checking that everything builds. Obviously, it's
far from being feature-complete.

The kernel itself comes with major issues and lack of support on many
aspects. The status of the userspace is the following:
* Graphics are good enough (fast compared to other devices)
* There is no or minor (software EGL) 3D support
* Sound is working (playback and recording)
* Telephony is work in progress, I have started writing an AT Radio
Interface Layer (RIL) called Hayes-RIL and it's not feature-complete yet
and is not part of the gta04 products yet (that means it's not built)
* There is no sound during calls, but it would be easy with hw routing
* No WiFi support but hopefully other Android devices have the same chip
so we could reuse code
* No bluetooth support
* No GPS support
* No sensors support
* No camera support

Of course, that all depends on the kernel: this status list assumes the
kernel-side of things works.

My personal roadmap for gta04 is the following:
* Getting kernel working, with all drivers and power (suspend/resume)
support
* Getting telephony working (that means finishing the RIL)
* Adding support for WiFi and bluetooth
* Adding support for GPS and sensors
* Adding support for camera

There are minor additional steps to get done too.

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Website:        http://www.replicant.us
Wiki/Tracker:   http://redmine.replicant.us