Announcing the Free Software Foundation fundraising program for Replicant

Brian Kemp brian.kemp at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 22:02:14 UTC 2013

On 07/27/2013 03:45 PM, Bradley D. Thornton wrote:

> On 07/27/2013 08:13 AM, Paul Kocialkowski wrote:
>

>> We also badly need new developers to help us bring Replicant to
>> more and more devices as well as improve the status of the
>> currently-supported devices. As a group effort, Replicant has
>> better chances to succeed and bring freedom to mobile phone
>> users. We are currently a team of two developers with less and
>> less time to get involved in the project and bring new features.
>> Becoming a developer is not even that hard: we have developer and
>> porting guides available to make it easier for you to get started
>> and we’ll be there to guide you all along. Even non-technical
>> people can help to some extent, covering tasks such as building
>> up documentation or writing announcements for the project if
>> they’re good enough at it.
>
>> Please get in touch with us if you’re interested. The best way to
>> start is most likely to get a Replicant-supported device and
>> start hacking on it
>
> I don't see the Droid 3 or Droid Bionic in the list here:
> http://replicant.us/2010/11/fdroid-a-free-software-alternative-to-google-market/

You

won't see any CDMA2000 phones - nothing on Verizon, Sprint, or US
Cellular. The reasons are pretty much the same as was the Galaxy Nexus
(Verizon) version isn't listed on Replicant, or "fully supported" as a
dev phone by Google:

0: CDMA is *really* proprietary, and certain binaries have to be
signed if you even want to get on the network. Qualcomm has a lock on
the technology, and not even Google can sign the binaries - has to be
done by the *carrier*. CyanogenMod just re-uses the proprietary
binaries shipped with stock; that's not possible in Replicant.

1: Motorola locks their bootloaders very, very, tightly. The latest
phones that have "developer versions" had their bootloaders broken
open just recently, but the developer enthusiasm even on XDA is not
there compared to Samsung and HTC (IMNSHO). This really started with
Sholes (the Motorola Droid / Milestone) - the Milestone was locked;
the Droid was not. PaulK does work with XDA & CM devs.

2: Replicant devs are all in Europe and there's no CDMA services there.

HTH HAND
- --BK
I test Replicant from time to time.