Which phone should I buy for running Replicant?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Sep 25 15:03:22 UTC 2013

Hi,

Am 25.09.2013 um 16:45 schrieb Dmitriy Nikandrov:

> I hope somewhere in the world exist investor with about $100 mil. to

me too :) But he/she did not show up in the past 10 years. Even Canonical
did not want to invest their own money for the Ubuntu Edge (except for
running the indiegogo campaign).

> solve this equation & give the begining to such very new computing
> ecosystem, where all components are free & open.

But again there is an equation which has no solutions:

investor + free&open = 2

I.e. why should someone invest into freedom and openness
if it is easier to get a return of investment with closed systems?

This would be against fundamental laws of economics. More specifically
Venture Capital invests to 50% in patents and 50% into a certain mindset
of people. Rarely into ideas. And not in concepts like "freedom". They leave
that to polictical discussions.

So as you say, we would need a completely different ecosystem
where people help each other and free of charge :(

Or where people are willing (and able - from well enough paid work...)
to pay more than for a closed device. I.e. if not 1 person is investing $100 mil.
but 100 mil persons are investing $1.

For software (FLOSS) it works because the investment that
is needed is very low. Just some spare time and curiousity/knowledge/ingenuity.

-- hns