Which phone should I buy for running Replicant?

Paul Kocialkowski paulk at paulk.fr
Sat Oct 5 21:06:31 UTC 2013

Le vendredi 27 septembre 2013 à 12:45 +0100, Nick a écrit :
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 01:20:23PM +0200, Paul Kocialkowski wrote:
> > Le jeudi 26 septembre 2013 à 09:48 +0100, Nick a écrit :
> > > There is the OpenFWWF project, though that doesn't seem to be
> >
> > I seriously doubt it is that easy or even doable and my expectations of
> > ever seeing a free firmware for these chips are close to zero.
>
> Ah, that's a pity.
>
> > On the other hand, ath9k_htc has a fully free firmware, released by
> > Qualcomm, so it's the only WiFi chip that could permit having a free
> > wifi firmware on an embedded device (read: phone, tablet, SBC).
>
> Is this used on any mobile device at the moment? Is there an easy
> way to find out what devices use a certain chip (I'm guessing
> not..)?

I don't really know of a mobile device that has this chip, though I know
it's quite easy to find them as USB dongles. Single board computers
could probably use the WiFi dongle directly.

As for finding what a mobile device uses, the best way is still to look
at the kernel defconfig.

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Website:	http://www.replicant.us