Which phone should I buy for running Replicant?

Paul Kocialkowski paulk at paulk.fr
Sun Oct 6 08:57:45 UTC 2013

Le samedi 05 octobre 2013 à 23:07 +0100, Andres a écrit :
> Is it possible to buy a wifi chip that works with repicant and
> retrofit it on the samsung galaxy 2? Even if you can't really close
> the back panel again properly? I seem to recall dismantelling an HTC
> and it had a component that basically was a wifi card?If that is the
> case you could buy the phone remove the bad wifi chip add the good
> wifi chip. Try to 3D print a new case (I tried and failed, but that
> was 8 years ago). ¿?

What would work in theory is to use an ath9k_htc usb dongle through USB
host since it's one of the very few chips known to have a free firmware.
Then you'd need to build the module in the replicant kernel and make it
be the default wifi module instead of the bcm one. That involves
rebuilding an image of Replicant.

There is no way you're going to succeed at replacing the chip that is
already there by ath9k_htc.

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Website:	http://www.replicant.us