Which phone should I buy for running Replicant?

Paul Kocialkowski paulk at paulk.fr
Sun Oct 6 20:05:15 UTC 2013

Le mercredi 25 septembre 2013 à 16:24 +0300, Dmitriy Nikandrov a écrit :
> Not only phones,
> but also laptops, desktops, routers, etc... Even Raspberry Pi in it's
> heart is closed source.
>
> The problem is that there is no OPEN HARDWARE chips (with open firmware):
> for Wi-Fi
> for GSM (even can't be because of patents on core specifications)
> for LTE
> for GPS

A short note about terminology: as RMS highlighted, what we are talking
about here is freedom, so I don't see how expressions like "open
hardware", "closed source" or "open firmware" are relevant here. It
would make more sense and covey a freedom-related message to use
expressions such as free software, non-free or proprietary software,
free firmwares, etc. For a more detailed view on this topic, please
reefer to:
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

As for hardware, we'll have to come up with a new expression to put the
emphasis on freedom too, maybe "free hardware".