My success story for pictures, calendar, contacts and email sync

Blaise Alleyne email at blaise.ca
Mon Oct 7 01:56:35 UTC 2013

On 13-10-05 05:13 PM, Paul Kocialkowski wrote:
> Le mercredi 02 octobre 2013 à 07:58 -0400, Fabián Rodríguez a écrit :
>> Hello
>>
>> Among the components I had not been able to replace until now on Android
>> were the calendar, addressbook and pictures sync to my own server.
>
>> So far I haven't found free open source CardDav/Caldav clients that
>> worked in Android - not even paid ones were without important bugs.
>
> Then I don't understand: how is that a success story? There is a caldav
> client in F-Droid that nearly works well, but no carddav AFAIK.
>
> [...] It is currently on out Tasks list to write and integrate good
> replacements for Carddav and Caldav, given that there is already
> server-side free software available.
>
> If someone could get their hands dirty there and get the job done, it'd
> be one thing less to worry about. It's probably not very hard as they
> must already be reliable java libraries to do the core work.

Marten Gajda's work is promising, but not free software *yet*.

He's created a few interesting Android applications, namely:
- CardDAV-Sync: http://dmfs.org/carddav/
- CalDAV-Sync: http://dmfs.org/caldav/
- Tasks: https://github.com/dmfs/tasks (a GUI

They are not free software *yet*, but he has plans to do it:
http://dmfs.org/wiki/index.php?title=Open_source_status

And a (weak) excuse on the wiki (wants to clean up the source code first):
http://dmfs.org/wiki/index.php?title=CalDAV-Sync_FAQ#Why_don.27t_you_make_it_open_source_right_now.3F

While the "not yet" excuse is pretty weak, the fact that he has already released several libraries
and the Tasks application as free software suggests that he is serious about it.