Newbie questions

Paul Kocialkowski paulk at paulk.fr
Thu Jan 2 22:37:19 UTC 2014

> Your device need certainly be rooted first. Check if there is a su
> binary in /system/xbin or /system/bin.

Indeed, these instructions are only relevant if you are already running
CyanogenMod or anything that comes with root and busybox. The stock
image simply does not permit making that backup, so you can avoid that
step, unless you know for sure your phone has been sold SIM-locked,
which is unlikely.

> I don't run Debian, but I am quite sure your fastboot package is
> working right out of the box. Be sure your device is first in download
> mode.

You may need to run fastboot as root (using sudo) if you don't have the
proper udev rules installed to give user access to the device.

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Website:        http://www.replicant.us
Wiki/Tracker:   http://redmine.replicant.us