Newbie questions

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Thu Jan 2 23:43:27 UTC 2014

Hi Arnaud and others,

Op 02-01-14 23:32, arnaud gaboury schreef:

>> First I tried to download it from busybox.net <http://busybox.net>,
> but that was not an apk
>> and it did not work.
>
> You will only find the source, and building it is a pain in the ass.

There are binaries on busybox.net too:
http://busybox.net/downloads/binaries/latest/
I've tried the busybox-armv7l.

> You can find it on Google play store. If you don't want a GOOG account,
> I can share the .apk with you when back at home (Saturday).

What I mean is that I like to have a trustable place to download such a
binary.

>> This problem could be cause by a device that is not properly rooted or
>> by superuser settings that are misconfigured. "
>
> Your device need certainly be rooted first. Check if there is a su
> binary in /system/xbin or /system/bin.

No su binary.

>> > Your fasboot package shall work.
>>
>> Thanks for your information.
>>
>> > Put your device in fasboot mode and plug it. Then
>> > $ fastboot devices
>> > You shall see your phone listed.
>>
>> I've tried to do that, but no device with "fastboot devices".
>
> I don't run Debian, but I am quite sure your fastboot package is working
> right out of the box. Be sure your device is first in download mode.

Not sure what that is.

What I did was pressing "sound up" "sound low" "power" (without USB
plugged in), and then there was a special mode with a big "START" and in
red in a very little font "fastboot mode" and in white some specs.
When I press START Android starts, so I think it's wrong to press that.

Ah: I see my device now with "fastboot device"!  (only as root)

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl/