Newbie questions

Paul Kocialkowski paulk at paulk.fr
Fri Jan 3 10:35:45 UTC 2014

It's not a Vendor SIM-locked device, but the SIM has a pincode.

Okay, then you can totally avoid that step and move on to fastboot.

> You may need to run fastboot as root (using sudo) if you don't have
the
> > proper udev rules installed to give user access to the device.
>
> As root I see the device now with fastboot.
> I can use adb as a normal user (a member of the plugdev group).
>
> This is my udev-rule:
> SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="04e8", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
>
> Ah, I found the way to unlock the device: "fastboot oem unlock" ;-)
> This worked. But I still have no "su" executable, and I still don't
know
> if I need it. I don't want to change Android, I want to remove it, and
> to install Replicant.

Read the rest of the installation guide then :)

( But, at this moment I would like to have a way-back to Android. so
> maybe a backup is a good idea. )

This backup is only for the modified modem data files and it's only
relevant to perform that backup if you SIM-unlocked the device.

Nexus devices make it easy for your to roll back to a stock Android
image since Google releases the stock images on their website.

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Website:	http://www.replicant.us/
Wiki/Tracker:	http://redmine.replicant.us/