Software rendering in Replicant-4.2

Paul Kocialkowski paulk at paulk.fr
Thu Feb 6 21:57:08 UTC 2014

> I'm right now trying to move our port of Replicant for the Goldelico
> GTA04 to version 4.2.
> My problem is, that the "classic" way of handling software rendering
> (via vendor/replicant/config/software_gl.mk) was apparently removed in
> 4.2 and now the GTA04 isn't able to start the GUI, as it get's stuck
> at initializing hardware rendering.

Things didn't change drastically. Now SoftwareGL is triggered
automatically when USE_OPENGL_RENDERER is set to false in
BoardConfig.mk. No need to include any particular makefile anymore.

You can find a reference commit for the Nexus S there:
https://gitorious.org/replicant/device_samsung_crespo/commit/edd0b28eb7549bad9340168e43f46ad291911d8f

Also, I hope the GTA04 will be fast enough to handle 4.2. It may not be,
in which case sticking to 4.0 could be the best option.

I'll probably try to get a clear idea of the GTA04/Android status in the
next few months, to evaluate whether I should get involved or if we
still have the same major issues with the kernel. The gta04-owner
mailing list doesn't really make that clear.

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Website:	http://www.replicant.us/
Wiki/Tracker:	http://redmine.replicant.us/