Reverse or Creation?

Sébastien Roy sebastien.roy at savoirfairelinux.com
Thu Mar 13 15:50:01 UTC 2014

If you consider the amount of money invested in development of new
devices, you'll see how much work is involved in designing new devices.

The free software and open source software works because software is less
prone to obsolescence than hardware which allows armies of dev to work in their
precious spare time on promising projects for years - even decades before
they begin to be relevant (at which point financing appears... ironically).

You just can't do that with hardware. You must spend 150% of your time
to quickly win the race against obsolescence and huge proprietary industrial
producers and quasi monopoly. It's just not feasible. Maybe if research
centers decided (or were ruled to) open source, creative common, open
science or free software the results of their public funded results, I
could consider it.

My 2 cents

Sebastien