Galaxy S T959 preliminary research to attempt replicant installation

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Tue Aug 19 22:55:01 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 11:52:41AM -0400, Blaise Alleyne wrote:

> I'm not away of any scripts to do a Palm-era style USB cable sync, but all the
> research I've done suggests with the sync model in the Android era is web-based
> -- with CardDAV and CalDAV as the open standards.
>
> I'm self-hosting SOGo for this, though also using ownCloud at work (ownCloud is
> much easier to host). You'd still be depending on a "cloud" to sync, but it
> could be self-hosted, or hosted by another service provider / friend you trust.

Thanks.  Installed SOGo via aptitude from the Debian archives.
Surprisingly, ownCloud in not in the Debian archives, so downloaded
the .tar.bz2 file and the .deb for the client.  I'll start playing with
it to get up to speed on the new way of doing things.  I presume this
will only work through a wifi connection (not the usb cable), so I'll
also have to set up a wifi router.  Or maybe this should be the impetus
to finally get the proper hardware and install freedombox (which includes
ownCloud, or will - haven't looked at it in a while).

http://www.freedomboxfoundation.org

One project begets another, which begets another, etc...

> For KDE...
> http://doc.owncloud.org/server/7.0/user_manual/pim/sync_kde.html

This is encouraging.  At least contacts and calendars seem to be
taken care of.

> It seems like DAVdroid is an option for CalDAV/CardDAV sync, but maybe only for
> Android 4+?
>
> https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=dav&fdid=at.bitfire.davdroid

Yes, this will have to wait until I install replicant.

> I'm not sure if that helps much... but in my experience, self-hosted
> CalDAV/CardDAV seems to be the most freedom-friendly and privacy-friendly
> alternate to a Google account sync... and note that this is just contacts and
> calendars, not your call log, or SMS message history, or anything else like that...

When/if I can get replicant/CM/andriod 4 installed I'll have to see
about other ways to sync the other stuff.  At least adb push/pull
the relevant files, once I find them, should work.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the info.

Augustine